Open Your Mouth Without Pain
Our philosophy is simple.
To give you the best possible treatment and to provide you with 100% commitment so you get the best possible outcome.
Jaw Pain and TMJ Treatment Sunshine Coast Call 5314 1150
If you have been suffering from Jaw pain, TMJ Dysfunction and Headaches we have treatment available to help you.
Common Symptoms Of Jaw Pain
- Difficulty Chewing and Eating.
- Pain in the face, jaw or ear area
- Headaches (often mimicking migraines), earaches, and pain and pressure behind the eyes
- A clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Jaw that “gets stuck,” locked or goes out of place
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles
- Swelling of the face
Benefits Of Having Treatment
- Opening Your Mouth Without Pain
- Eating and Chewing Without Pain
- Ability To Eat Your Favourite Foods Again
- Reduce Headaches Caused By Your Jaw Pain
- Better Night Sleep
- Reduce Your Irritability Caused By The Pain
How We Help You Overcome Your Jaw Pain With Physiotherapy Treatment
6 Steps to fix your Jaw pain
If you are reading this, then you have already taken the first step of deciding you need to get your jaw (TMJ) symptoms fixed! Research tells us that the majority of people with jaw pain don’t know what to do, where to go or how to get rid of their pain – so you are already one step ahead because you have found this simple 6 step plan of action!
- Observation & Palpation (“look and feel”)
- A lot of useful information can be gained from a skilled physiotherapist looking at the way your jaw moves when you open. Does your mouth stay straight or does it deviate to one side? Are there any clicks or popping sounds? Feeling the joint properly will give the physiotherapist an understanding of what the problem is (eg. Ligament, disc, joint or muscle problem).
- Accurately measuring the amount of jaw movement you have (opening, side-to-side, forwards/backwards) can reveal subtle problems with the jaw joint and surrounding muscles.
- Diagnosis and Begin Treatment
- Based on the assessment, you will be given a diagnosis which will determine what treatment is the best way to start fixing your jaw pain. Treatment can involve gentle massage, mobilization of the jaw joint, and exercises to stretch and strengthen the jaw area.
- Perform your Prescribed Exercises
- You will be given exercises to help your jaw improve in between physiotherapy treatments. Like any exercise program, the best results are seen after 4-6 weeks of performing the exercises, which complement your treatment. Patients who perform their exercises get the best results, it’s that simple.
- During this phase it is important to attend your follow-up appointments with the physiotherapist who can progress your exercises as your symptoms improve.
- By the 6 week mark, the majority of people report significant improvement (if not total resolution!) of their symptoms.
- Reassessment by the physiotherapist (Steps 1 & 2 = Touch & Feel, Measurement) will show improvement with an improvement in the amount of movement and a reduction in deviation, clicking and locking symptoms.
- Congratulations, you have made it to this stage! By now your jaw issues are most likely a thing of the past! Unfortunately, people who have had jaw problems do have a high risk of recurrence. This is because the underlying cause is often still present (eg. Stress/clenching/grinding).
- The good news is now that you’ve done the hard work, the easy part is maintaining your jaw! Your physiotherapist will advise you on the best way to maintain your jaw, whether it is having maintenance “hands-on” treatment, or performing some exercises for the jaw, or both.
If you think the 6 steps listed above sound straight-forward, it’s because IT IS! You have succeeded in taking the first step already by reading this information, so the next step is to make an appointment to see Physio Professionals who can start you on the 6 step process immediately. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be symptom-free!
How to make an appointment to get rid of your Jaw Pain?
Please call (07) 5314 1150 and request an appointment to see physiotherapist Marty Cahill to start your treatment for your Jaw pain. We look forward to helping you be pain free.
B.App.Sc (Exer Sc), Masters of Physiotherapy
Marty has over 15 years of private practice experience and has completed studies in Exercise Science and Physiotherapy.
Marty has a broad range of skills to help treat patients from Post Orthopaedic rehab, Men’s health, Musculoskeletal conditions such has back pain, shoulder injuries, Occupational Health, Pulmonary Rehabilitation and telehealth.
Outside of work Marty interests lie in endurance running and spending time with his family.
Martin interest areas include Jaw Pain, Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy, Lower Limb, Orthopaedic Rehab, Men’s Health.
Book Online with Marty: Book Now