Pilates can improve ANY posture! Pilates exercises employ a gentle core contraction as the base for all other patterns of movement. Pilates involves finding and maintaining the most optimal posture whilst moving in a way that improves muscle timing, strength and movement sequencing. Over time and practice participants of Pilates begin to move/ sit/ work in ideal postures with optimal muscle recruitment. This can reduce pain and discomfort but also improve general tone and well-being of the entire body
Try this simple Pilates exercise:
Pilates Leg lift
- Lying on back with feet bent up and placed on the ground
- Brace core: Gently pull your belly button down towards your spine. Ensure the contraction is only a 20% effort and make sure your back doesn’t flatten onto the floor.
- Slowly and gently ‘float’ one leg up so the thigh is vertical and the lower leg is horizontal (as pictured).
- Hold 3sec. Slowly lower the foot back to the original position.
- Try 10-15x each leg, 2x per day
Come and try our Pilates at Physio Professionals, you won’t be disappointed!